I found a recipe my mother used to make and then I found out, the recipe came from a former restaurant in Charlotte, NC, Barclay’s Cafeteria. I made the casserole last night and it is mouth-watering!
Servings 8-10 Units US
- 2 lbs squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces shredded American processed cheese, slices (Kraft sharp American slices)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (some reviewers have suggested 2t so if you think 2T will be too sweet, adjust to your taste) 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Cook squash and onion, salted, in enough water to cover in saucepan until tender.
- Drain well and mash.
- Add cheese while still hot and stir until cheese melts.
- Add butter.
- Mix in flour, sugar and pepper.
- Add eggs.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour into greased 9″x13″ casserole.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes until center sets like egg custard.